Compassionate Care Course
The Compassionate Care Course is an eight-week session offered twice yearly, in spring and fall, by Palliative Manitoba. Individuals who wish to volunteer for Palliative Manitoba must first complete the Volunteer Application Form (click here). Individuals that fulfill the screening requirements will be invited to attend the eight-week Compassionate Care Course. Once selected, volunteers are asked to consent to a one-year post-course commitment.
The course takes place on Wednesday evenings from 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Students are required to attend all classes in order to receive certification.
Compassionate Care Course Outline
- Introduction to Hospice and Palliative Care
- History of palliative care, definitions/terms within the hospice and palliative care community, the bereavement support services available, the role of a volunteer, etc.
- Cross-Cultural Considerations in Palliative Care
- Breaking down prejudices, stereotypes and misconceptions within the palliative community, including awareness exercises, definitions and cross-cultural differences.
- Communication in Palliative Care
- Starting the conversation, tips and tricks and being aware of personal body language, including the use of silence.
- Enhancing Quality of Life and End-of-Life Ethical Issues
- Activities that promote comfort, ethical principles, advance care planning and information on caregiver burnout, etc.
- Loss, Grief, and Bereavement
- Exploring the concepts of loss, grief and bereavement, finding ways to support individuals and their families during the grief process and identifying healthy ways to express one’s personal grief when working with families.
- Spiritual Care of the Dying and Their Families
- Understanding spirituality and spiritual care.
- Palliative Care from a Doctor’s Perspective
- Session led by a Doctor from the Palliative Care Program from the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority.
- Self-Reflection & Closing Ceremony
- Self-care tips.
Recruitment for this course is ongoing. For more information about availability please contact our office at 204-889-8525.